More to explore...

Monday, September 14, 2009

Introducing the newest member of our family....

ELLIOT!!
Elliot is our new foster child. He was found under someone's CAR, in their garage. We think he's around 2 1/2 weeks old. He weighs a whole 4lbs and 4 oz.

We got a call that a friend of a friend had a fawn that needed someone to care for it. Well, of course, the nuts at the Corbin Farm and Petting Zoo were the first people our friend thought of! Imagine that....

And, as you would expect, my children are all but beside themselves about having Elliot with us. Everybody wanted to hold him. Everybody wanted to know when they could give him a bottle. Who was going to get to fix his bed... And, "Mama, can he sleep in MY room tonight??" They've been going around telling each other "Shhhh! You're being too loud for Elliot!" They're being very sensitive about frightening him with loud noises and too much boisterous activity. They were having some of the Chunn kiddos over tonight and I heard them giving them the low down on how to behave with the "baby" in the house! What a hoot!

They are having a hard time with the concept that he's only fostering with us until he can care for himself. They don't understand why we can't just keep him.

Hmmm... let's think about this, shall we? 120lb buck, sharp hooves, deadly rack of horns, and RUT... NOOOT!

But we're gonna enjoy him while we have him. He's already checking things out, being nosy, following us around and trying to figure out why his feet won't stay together on the tile!

You know, it's times like these, that seem to happen so often with us, that make me thankful all over again that we homeschool our children. It's just one more thing that my kids will have the joy of experiencing. One more thing to enrich their lives. One more thing that they probably would not have had the chance to experience outside of a homeschool environment. It really makes me wonder what the Lord has in store for me and my children. What is He going to teach us thru the raising of this little deer?
Sunday we read in the Psalms 42 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God." Do my children understand that the hart is a deer? That as a deer in the wild travels far and seeks diligently for the refreshment of the cool creek or stream in the woods, our heart should be seeking God's will, His "water" of refreshment? Will I be able to share with them the importance of the deer finding the good water? How it will die if it doesn't have the water? And how when it has gone too long without water it pants for that water? Will I be able to show and explain to them how like that deer we are? That we will die inside without our Savior? That when we spend too long away from Him we become parched, withered, and wilted in our soul? Will I be able to help them understand that when we don't spend time with our Savior EVERY day our soul pants for His presence?

Or is this all for me? To remind me that I need Him EVERY day, EVERY hour, and in EVERY situation? Whether it's for my kids, for me, or both I thank Him for the lessons I know we are going to learn.

Praising His Name,
L

"I need thee, o I need thee... Every hour I need thee. O bless me now, My Savior, I come to thee." -from the song I Need Thee Every Hour

1 comment:

Penny said...

He is cute. Did you call the game warden? I think it is illegal for anyone to have a wild animal unless they are approve to rehab them. You might want to check.