More to explore...

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Three Year Old Request



Thursday was Noah's 13th birthday. I'll just stop right there. That's enough for a squall session. As a matter of fact, I cried quite a bit on Thursday. But that's another post... So the big birthday was Thursday and we asked Noah what he wanted. Well for 3 years he has asked us for one thing.
A lathe.

So we decided to get him one and you'd have thought we had given him gold. He has spent every available second on that thing. He's taken tree limbs and made spindles. He's taken chunks of kindling and made candle holders. He's taken several different woods and experimented to see which ones make the prettiest dowels. It's a hoot.

But I'm also proud for him because he is looking to the future, planning on making things to sell. He and my mother came up with a plan tonight. He's going to make old fashioned cedar rolling pins. He wants to sell them in the antique store. My sister has a booth there, so maybe he can work out a deal with her to sell some from there.
Tonight we went to my parents house for Rebekah's sewing lesson. The boys went to help Daddy pick up hay and then it was off to the woods in search of good wood for rolling pins. Of course, we ended up with several things that could be "really neat pencil holders!" (LOL! I love the enthusiasm of youth!) But they brought home some wood that is sure to become a lovely something... And they have a stack of more wood to get home from my parents house.
It was tough having Noah turn 13. It's nuts, I know, but fear and anxiety is most often not rational. It's hard for me knowing that I still have so much to teach him - so much that I know he doesn't know yet. So much he needs to learn before he can be the head of his own household. And the sand is running out of the hourglass! Time is growing short for me to teach him these things!! But I am much comforted today writing this post. Seeing these photos of him working so intently and thinking on his excitement over something to work with reminds me that it's not all up to me to teach him everything he needs to know. And my sweet friends at church reminded me Sunday that all I need to teach him is to love the Lord and seek His face. If I can teach Noah that, my God is able to redeem the time - in an instant! - and He can fill in the gaps. Am I going to teach him to read? Yes. Am I going to teach him to write? Yes. Am I going to teach him math? No. (I'm going to send him to Amy Blassingame's house!!! LOLOLOLOL!) But I know that if I trust the Lord with my child's heart, show him the way to the Father, thru the Son, guided by the Holy Spirit, then there is a promise in Phil 4:19 that is for him: "But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Praise Him! Praise Him! I am not able to take care of my child's every need, but my God is.
I'll agree with Paul...
"Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. A-men."
(Phil. 4:20)
Blessed evening, restful night.
Lori

No comments: